Town Views and Plans: N - Z
Panevėžys (Ponivezh, Ponewesch, Poniewiez): first mentioned in 1503, in documents signed by the Grand Duke of Lithuania Alexander I
1870 Panevėžys city plan.
1900 View of Panevėžys.
Šiauliai (Shavli, Shavel, Schaulen, Szawle): first mentioned as "Soule" in Livonian Order chronicles describing the battle of Saule. The city's founding date is now
considered to be September 22, 1236
19th Cent. Šiauliai church
Trakai (Troki, Trok): first mentioned in 1337 Teutonic Knights chronicles as Tracken, and considered to be the founding date
1868 Trakai Castle.
1885 Stanislaw Baranowski:
The church in Šiauliai..,"
160 x 168 mm woodcut.
Palanga: From the 10th century a main settlement of Mēguva Land, inhabited by Curonians.
POLAGI" (The Shore at
Palanga), 115 x 157 mm,
from The Illustrated
Weekly, of August 25,
1878 Alfred Kuhlewein: "
Gora Biruty, pod Paloga, "
Palanaga). 166 x 234
mm, Ffrom "Weekly
Illustrated # 113 of Feb.
23, 1878. From
19th Century: "Zamek w Trokach" (Castle
Ukmergė (Vilkmergė, Wiłkomierz): first mentioned as a settlement in 1333. It was essentially a wooden fortress that stood on a hill, near the confluence of the
Vilkmergė River and the Šventoji River.
1864 Wojciech Gerson: "WIES W ZIMIE,"
from "Weekly Illustrated." From
Rudamina (Urdomin, Rudamin): Rudamina's hill fort, a prominent hill forts of Yotvingian Balts, is about 1 km southwest of the town. Nearby tumuli
were dated to 3rd–4th century AD. The town traces its history to 1576 when Massalski family established an estate and began cutting down the forest.
1867 Constantine Przykorski: " GORA W
URDOMINIE," (Hill near Urdomin
[Rudamina]) 132 x 235 mm, from
"Illustrated Weekly" # 385 of February 9,
Panemunė (Gielgudow) Castle: (not to be confused with the town of Panemunė) on the north shore of the Nemunas, opposite the town of Gelgaudiškis (Giełgudyszki, Gelgudishk). The initial
hillfort of the Teutonic Knights (erected 1343) was replaced by a castle built in 1604-1610 and reconstructed around 1759 by Giełgud family: the English/Lithuanian Actor's ancestral family.
1889 Michael Elwiro
Andriolli (artist) -
(engraver): " Gielgudow
nad Niemnen," 16.1 x
23.5 cm, from "Weekly
Illustrated # 344. From
1864 A. Romer: "Zamek
Niemnem" (View of
Gielgudow Castle on the
Nieman), from "Tygodnik
19th cent. Napoleon
Orda: "POŁONGA nad
(The shore at Palanga
[with Birute's chapel on
the hill]) From www.
Early 19th Cent. Napoleon Orda: "Lake
Tallinn (Reval): the oldest capital city in Northern Europe, first mentioned 1154 on a Muslim map, and known as Reval from the Danish conquest in 1219 until 1918.
1838 "Reval," drawn by Danvin, steel
engraving by Cholet, 14 x 8.5 cm. From
1853 Alexey Bogolyubov: "Port of Tallinn,"
oil on canvas
1878 "Reval," wood engraving by
Hildebrand after Benolt, 19 x 13 cm.
1854 "Revel - The Inner Fort," 4.75 x 6.25
inches, from the "Illustrated London
News." From antiquaprintgallery.com
19th Cent. Napoleon
c. 1640: Matthäus Merian: "Revalia /
Reveln," Frankfurt, 4 x 12.5 inches.
1721 Bodenehr (engraver/publisher):
"REVEL, anderer Prospect," Augsburg.
Vilkija (Vilki, Wilkija): mentioned in historical sources beginning 1364 as Wilkenbethe
1864 Rudolph Erasmus Fabijanski:
"MIASTECSZO WILKIJA NAD NIEMNEM,"
(Town of Vilkija on the Nieman) 164 x 232
mm, from "Weekly Illustrated" # 259 of
Sept. 10, 1864. From www.antykwariat.biz
1889 Joseph Ryszkiewicz: "Miastecszo
Wilkija," 214 x 284 mm, from "Weekly
Illustrated" # 346 of August 17, 1889.
1907 "Планъ гор.
ска Ковенской губернiи,"
(Novoalek-sandrovsk - Zarasai).
From Wroblewski Library of the
Lithuanian Academy of Sciences http:
(The Plan of
Warsaw, by the
Institution of the
Nida /Nidden: A settlement of Curonians, originally called Nida ("fluent" in Old Prussian) first mentioned 1385 in Teutonic Knights documents.
Ernst Otto Tiedke:
von Nidden." From
Library of the Lithuanian
Academy of Sciences:
c. 1932 Riigi trükikoda (publisher):
"Tallinna linna plaan..." From univ of Chicago
1937 [dated] J. Männik (mapmaker):
"TALLINNA: LINNA - PLAAN," Tallinn,
50.5 x 74 cm / 19.9 x 29.1 inches. From
1939 [dated] J. Männik (mapmaker):
"TALLINNA: LINNA PLAAN," Tallinn,
50.5 x 74 cm /19.9 x 29.1 inches. includes
planned projects. Interrupted double black
lines show streets under construction and
planned streets, black lines the railways,
interrupted single lines tram lines, blue
interrupted lines borders of different police
districts, and images of locomotive train
stations. Compare with 1937 version on
this page. From www.pahor.de
1870 [dated] "Планъ
принадлежащей къ имению
Старый Поневежъ деревни
Старый Поневежъ Ковенской
губернии Поневежскаго уезда
Пневской волости /
Коммисіи." (Plan of the Old
Ponevezh village of the Kovno
province of the Ponevezhsky
district of the Pnevskaya volost /
drawn by the Kovenskaya
From Panevėžys County G.Petkevičaitė-
Bitė Public Library):