Topographical Maps: 1808, New East Prussia
German: Neu Ostpreußen; Polish: Prusy Nowowschodnie; Lithuanian: Naujieji Rytprūsiai
As an aftermath of the Third, 1795, Partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, former Grand Duchy of Lithuania (GDL) lands -- including Augustavas
(Pol.: Augustów) and Suvalkija (Pol.: Suwałki ) were annexed by Prussia, and included in "New East Prussia." New East Prussia was divided into the Kammerdepartements
Bialystok -- former GDL lands -- and Płock which were divided into the following counties (Kreise):
Białystok Department: Bialystok, Bielsk, Bobrz, Dombrowa, Drohiczyn, Kalwary, Lomza, Mariampol, Surasz, Wygry
Płock Department: Lipno, Mlawa, Ostrolenka, Plozk, Przasnik, Pultusk, Wyszogrod.
In 1806, the area, with a population of 914,610 within a territory of less than 21,236 square miles/55,000 km², was conquered by Napoleon and overrun in the Greater
Poland Uprising. The July 9, 1807 Treaty of Tilsit divided those former GDL lands: Plock Department went to the Duchy of Warsaw, which the 1815 Congress of Poland gave
to "Congress Poland." The area remained in nominal Polish hands until WWI. Białystok Department became, from 1807 to 1842, Belostok Oblast within the Russian Empire,
after which it was merged into Grodno guberniya.
1808 Daniel Friedrich Sotzman (Kingdom Minister for War/geographer/mapmaker) - Heinrich Kliewer (engraver): "Topographisch Militärische Karte, vom vormaligen
Neu Ostpreußen oder dem jetzigen Nördlichen Theil des Herzogthums Warschau, nebst dem Russischen District...auf XV Blaetter reducirt..." (Topographical Military Map of
the former New East Prussia or the present Northern part of the Duchy of Warsaw, together with the Russian District...reduced to 15 sheets), Berlin.
|Detail, Sect. IV: Map Key
1808 Robert Wilkinson: "PRUSSIA,"
London, 24 x 29 cm, from his "A
General Atlas," published from 1800 to
1816. From www.davidrumsey.com
Map to the left
(duplicated from the
"Lithuania Minor" page)
here to show New East
Prussia's location, relative to the
rest of Prussia, and to the
remnants of the